GST Registration: How To Get Your Small Business GST Ready
With GST right around the corner, it’s probably time you get your small business registered under it. The government of India recently extended the last date of GST registration for businesses to 30th April 2017. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to go about this enrollment process.
A guide to registering your small business under GST
- Procure you Provisional Username and Password from you State VAT / Central Excise / Service Tax Authority.
- Go to the official GST registration site here and log in with the provisional credentials provided to you as per step
- Click on Click here for Enrolment Schedule for your state to make sure that your state is still accepting applications (Currently 30/04/2017 for all states).
- Once you have checked the enrollment schedule, go back to the homepage and click on NEW USER LOGIN. Read the Steps to complete Provisional Registration, check the “I agree to provide details as per the provisions of Proposed Model Goods and Services Tax Act (GST Act).” box in the application form and click on CONTINUE.
- A pop-up with the list of necessary documents will be displayed. Ensure that you have the documents (100KB-1MB PDF/JPG files) mentioned in the list before proceeding further:
- Partnership Deed
- Registration Certificate
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association
- Bye-laws of Society
- Tax Paid Receipt
- Municipal Khata Copy
- Electricity Bill
- Rent / Lease agreement
- Consent Letter
- Any other Certificate/Document issued by Government
- Any other Certificate or record from Govt department
- Bank Statement
- Letter of Authorisation
- Copy of resolution passed by BoD / Managing Committee
- First page of bank passbook
- Bank Statement
Now, log in with the Provisional Username and Password, fill out the details and upload supporting documents. Make sure that the email ID and phone number you provide are functional because these are the details that will be registered in the GST Network (GSTN). Once you proceed, you will be asked to change your password. Make sure to make a note of your new password!
You will now be given an Application Receipt Number (ARN) that will be sent to your registered email ID. Note this down for all future purposes. Once the verification is completed, your GST certificate will be available for download on the GSTN portal dashboard.